Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I originally got this recipe from Anne Lindsay's Light Kitchen and tweaked it to my taste. It is delicious and always a hit.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 5 hot Italian sausages, cut into chunks
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 lb medium raw shrimp, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook onion, celery and garlic until softened. Add green and red pepper, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook until all softened and remove from pot.
- Add sausage to the pot and start to brown; add chicken. When they are starting to brown well, add vegetables back to the pot.
- Add rice and stir well. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock; bring to boil. Stir in shrimp.
- Bake, covered in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Sprinkle individual servings with parsley and green onions.
This was delicious. I did have to add a little more liquid for the rice to cook enough. This makes a huge amount and I will be freezing some of the leftovers in vacuum boiling bags to bring camping. This will make a hearty meal after hiking all day. Thanks for a great recipe!