Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
There are a zillion recipes for Jambalaya on Zaar, here's mine.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 lb beef sausage, chopped
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 lb medium deveined shrimp
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 (7 3/4 ounce) cansel pato tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (to garnish)
- 4 stalks green onions, chopped for garnish
- salt and pepper
- In a large kettle over med heat fry beef sausage (until fat is rendered).
- Add all chopped vegetables and chicken breast.
- Fry until chicken is cooked approx 5 minutes.
- Add rice, salt and pepper, dried thyme and tomato paste.
- Stir until mixed well and tomato paste starts cooking.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes and El Pato tomato sauce.
- Simmer 15 to 20 minutes (check to make sure you have enough liquid, if it looks dry add a cup of water).
- Add shrimp when rice is tender.
- Cook 3 minutes longer or until shrimp is pink.
- Serve family style on a large platter garnished with green onions and fresh thyme.