Recipe by Captain_67
"FOOLPROOF", flavorful & fun. Chicken, pork, shrimp or all three. No burnt rice...guaranteed.
Top Review by barry ellison
this was awesome. the really special thing about this recipe is how the rice is cooked. only adjustments made were adding bell pepper and celery to the onion (trinity) and i didn't pre-cook the shrimp. i just threw the shrimp on top when i put it in the oven. the whole thing came out perfectly. will make again and again and again. thanks captain.
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, like andouille sausages
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut sausage & meat into bite size chunks.
- Pre heat oven to 350f.
- In 5 qt Dutch oven or roaster with WELL FITTING LID over medium high heat, add fat or oil.
- Brown sausage & remove.
- Brown meat & or shrimp until cooked & remove.
- Sauté onions & garlic until soft.
- Add rice & spices, toast for a few minutes stirring constantly.
- Add all meats & or shrimp & mix well with rice.
- Add chicken broth & turn heat to high.
- When boiling starts, cover with lid & place in oven for 15 minutes only.
- Remove from oven when done & rest for another 14 to 15 minutes only but DO NOT REMOVE LID because the rice is still cooking.
- When time is up, fluff & toss with forks & remove bay leaves.
- Serve onto warm plates.