Recipe by MaryMc
This makes an amazing meal--spicy and rich and oh, so good!! It's wonderful made with ingredients you can get at most any grocery store, but for a really special flavor, find some real, authentic Cajun andouille and tasso. It's out of this world!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 -4 lbs chicken parts
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3⁄4 cup thinly-sliced green onion top
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon finely-minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons finely-minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tasso or 1⁄2 cup lean baked ham
- 1 lb lean pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lb andouille sausages, sliced 1/2-inch thick or 1 lb other smoked spicy pork sausage
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 -4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy 7- or 8-quart pot or kettle, heat the oil over high heat.
- Brown the chicken parts in the hot oil, turning them frequently with long-handled tongs to ensure even browning. As the pieces brown, remove them to a platter.
- Cool the chicken and remove the meat from the bones.
- When all the chicken is browned and removed, add the vegetables, parsley, tasso, and pork to the pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables and meat are browned.
- Add the sausages and seasonings and continue cooking and stirring for 5 minutes more, then add the reserved chicken meat, rice, and 3 cups of stock. Mix gently.
- Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil, then cover the pot and turn the heat to very low. Cook for 45 minutes, uncovering from time to time to stir. If the stock is absorbed before the rice is cooked, add more as needed.
- Uncover the pot during the last 10 minutes of cooking and raise the heat to medium.
- Stir gently and frequently as the rice dries out.
- Serve at once.