Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb cooked ham, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add kielbasa, onions, green pepper, celery and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, ham, bay leaf, pepper sauce, thyme and allspice; simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add rice.
- Cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- If necessary, add more broth or water and simmer until rice is tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with additional pepper sauce, if desired.
We've made this twice now and it is truly excellent. We use kielbasa and cubed chicken breasts. I also add a couple of dashes of liquid smoke to each batch. The teens in the home absolutely love it. The whole is much greater than the sum of it's parts.
This is a delicious recipe minus the bay leaf.
I've just cooked this recipe today and it was very good. I've doubled all the ingredients, so it will last all week. Probably will fix this again. Thanks!