Top Review by KyanaBelle
We've made this twice now and it is truly excellent. We use kielbasa and cubed chicken breasts. I also add a couple of dashes of liquid smoke to each batch. The teens in the home absolutely love it. The whole is much greater than the sum of it's parts.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb cooked ham, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add kielbasa, onions, green pepper, celery and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, ham, bay leaf, pepper sauce, thyme and allspice; simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add rice.
- Cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- If necessary, add more broth or water and simmer until rice is tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with additional pepper sauce, if desired.