1/1 Photo of Jambalaya
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Really good. I do cook the rice separate, that way I don't make glue, and you can make it hotter-I do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 lbs chorizo sausage (or a good reliable hot sausage you know of) or 2 lbs andouille sausages (or a good reliable hot sausage you know of)
- 3 cups fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (what ever your taste buds can handle) or 1 teaspoon chili powder (what ever your taste buds can handle)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups cooked long-grain rice
- cayenne (to offer at table) or Tabasco sauce (to offer at table)
- 1Melt shortening in a large/huge saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Cook chicken pieces until brown on all sides and cooked about half way through, around 20 minutes or so.
- 3Remove and add onion, green pepper, celery and garlic.
- 4Cook slowly stirring now and again until onions are tender.
- 5Add sausage and cook 10 min more.
- 6Return chicken and add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT rice and stir together well.
- 7Cover and simmer for 30 min stirring now and again.
- 8Remove cover and continue to cook until broth cooks down a bit-you don't want it too thick as the rice will soak up the juice.
- 9Serve up the rice in bowls and ladle the Jambalaya on top, and offer more cayenne or Tabasco at the table.
- 10***I know that cooking the rice on the side and not in the dish will cause some to have a heart attack, but I've found the flavor much better this way, IMHO.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 859.0
- Calories from Fat 491
- Total Fat 54.5 g
- Saturated Fat 19.4 g
- Cholesterol 144.7 mg
- Sodium 2002.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 44.2 g