Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Cajun Dish with Sausage, Chicken and Seafood. Spicy One dish meal
Make and share this Jambalaya recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb kielbasa or 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2 thick slices
- 1 lb raw chicken, any type, Cut up into bite size pieces
- 1 lb shrimp or 1 lb crawfish, cleaned
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups long grain rice (not instant)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, including juice
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large stockpot ( 8 qts or larger) heat 1 Tablespoon oil, add onion, green pepper, celery and garlic. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add sausage and cook until sausage begins to brown. Add chicken and cook 7 to 10 minutes or until chicken loses its pink color.
- Add beef broth, 1 cup of water, rice and seasonings. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cover. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Add additional water if necessary. This dish should be loose with a good amount of sauce. Stir in seafood, cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until seafood is pink and cooked through. Taste and add salt if necessary. If you used regular beef broth( not low sodium) you probably will not have to add salt.
- Stir in tomatoes and top with green onions. Serve with crusty bread and a salad for a complete meal.
Better than the Joy of Cooking version I've been using for years. I used long grain brown rice and it turned out awesome. Hubby hates brown rice and didn't believe me when I told him. The texture came out nice because brown rice takes longer to cook than white. I think white would have been mushy. I made a full recipe for the two of us and froze half a dozen individual portions to reheat on busy nights or to put in the lunch box. Great recipe! Thanks!
Very good. I made this for a dinner party of about 10 people and it was a good amount for the size of group and was a big hit. I found that the rice was a bit over-cooked but will definetly continue experimenting.
I liked this recipe because it contained all of the ingredients that sounded right. Turned out well! MY only mistake (mine totally) was reducing rather than eliminating the cayenne knowing full well I have a delicate tummy.