Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Don't let all the ingredients fool you...this is so easy to prepare (note: you can use any size shrimp for this recipe).
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 -3 fresh minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs uncooked shrimp, fresh or frozen, peeled, and deveined
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in 2 tbsp butter, until tender.
- Add the next nine ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the rice is tender (about 25 mins).
- Add the shrimp and parsley; simmer, uncovered, until the shrimp are cooked (about 7-10 mins).
Really easy, great taste. Found it a little mild the first time, next time used cayenne pepper instead of the black pepper - perfect.
very easy, tastes great, rice was perfect!