Recipe by Ambervim
From a PBS show, Pati's Mexican Table. Jamaica flowers are also known as hibiscus or roselle.
- 3⁄4 cup jamaica fresh edible flower, dried
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup safflower oil (or canola)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt, kosher (or sea salt)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the jamiaca flowers in a bowl along with the garlic, oils, vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper. Let them sit for a few minutes, for the flowers to soften up a bit. Then pour everything into a blender and puree. The flowers will not be pureed until smooth. The mix will have a textured consistency with chewy flower chunks: that's what you want!
- Let the mix stand for at least two hours. If it will not be used then, it can be kept in the refrigerator, covered, for up to a week.