Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This recipe is from Vegetarian Times.. To speed up preparation, use pre-grated carrots, available in most supermarkets. You can make fresh breadcrumbs by trimming and discarding crusts from firm, fresh sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and whirl in a food processor or blender until crumbs form. One slice makes about 1/2 cup. The salsa can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept in the refrigerator.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, diced (about 1/2 pineapple)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro or 1/3 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (about 4)
- 1/4 cup minced seeded jalapeno chile
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons jerk seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon. salt
- 4 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1To make Pineapple Salsa: Combine first 8 ingredients (from pineapple to pinch of salt) and mix well. If making ahead, cover, and refrigerate. Serve at room temperature.
- 2To make Jamaican Vegetable Patties:.
- 3Heat 1 Tbs. oil over medium-high heat in large nonstick skillet, add onion, and cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- 4Add garlic, jerk seasoning and salt; cook, stirring often, 30 to 60 seconds, until fragrant.
- 5Stir in carrots, cover, reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- 6Stir in peas, and cook 1 minute more. Transfer mixture to large bowl, and fold in breadcrumbs.
- 7Put eggs and milk in bowl, and whisk together. Stir into carrot mixture. Form into 12 3/4-inch-thick patties, using generous 1/3 cup mixture for each.
- 8Heat 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat in large nonstick skillet; Add half of patties, and cook about 5 minutes on each side until golden.
- 9Transfer patties to plate; keep warm; Repeat, adding more oil to pan if necessary. Serve with salsa.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Vegetable Patties
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.4
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 93.4 mg
- Sodium 379.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: