Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Adapted from a Moosewood recipe. A neat combo of flavors that I thought were dynamite together.
Top Review by Mother of Two Plus Husband!
This is a far cry from the usual tomato soup. Very flavoursome but a little too fruity for my picky palate. Fairly easy to make and had a lovely texture. May try again with less orange!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Add oil to a large soup pot; let it get hot.
- Add in onions and cook/stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until translucent.
- Add in fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes with juice, basil, sugar, lemon juice, and orange peel; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the orange juice, cilantro, parsley, salt, and pepper to the container of a blender; puree until well mixed.
- Add 2 cups cooked tomatoes from the soup pot to the blender; puree until smooth.
- Pour puree back into the soup pot; stir to combine.
- Heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Garnish with basil, parsley, or chopped green onions, croutons.