I love tapioca pudding and I thought I would give it an island flavor with rum and spices. Hope you like it!
- Soak tapioca in the water for 30 minutes in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks.
- After the 30 minutes; add milk, rum, salt, and egg yolks to the tapioca.
- Stir over medium heat until boiling. Turn heat down to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes; stirring often.
- Beat the egg whites with the sugar until soft peaks form.
- After the 15 minutes, fold about 3/4 cup of hot tapioca into the egg whites and then gently fold egg mixture back into your saucepan. Stir well over low heat for about 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes then stir in vanilla, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
- Serve warm or chilled.