Recipe by Ambervim
This is from a cookbook called "Food of Jamaica." This cookbook is sold in Jamaica to Jamaicans. It is different from the other sweet potato pone recipes I found here and I like this profile. It's intro - Jamaicans never tire of anything made with sweet potato. This particuar pone, similar to those found in the American South, was inspired by the rich culinary heritage of Africa.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 1⁄2 ounces orange juice
- 2 eggs, large and separated
- 4 ounces dark rum (light if it is all you have, more if you want)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the sweet potato slices in boiling water for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and mash with the brown sugar and butter.
- Stir in the orange juice.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks and add them to the mixture with the rum.
- Grease a pie plate.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff, but not dry.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the potato mix.
- Pour into the prpared pie plate.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the cener comes out clean.