Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love this recipe! My first time making red beans and rice in 2003 and it was perfect! I've never used the pepper and I also used extra seasonings like garlic powder etc. I use the canned beans because dried beans take so long to cook!! My kids can't wait that long! :-) This is great with a stew or a curry, like chicken or goat. Whenever I bought a stew or a curry from the Jamaican restaurants back home, they automatically came with this rice. If you eat it on it's own, it may seem a bit plain.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried red kidney beans
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 cups water
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups coconut milk
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, minced (optional)
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 fresh hot pepper
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- Combine the kidney beans, garlic, water and salt to taste in a saucepan. Cook, covered over medium heat until tender, about 2 hours.
- Add the coconut milk, pepper to taste, scallion, onion, thyme and whole fresh pepper.
- Bring to a boil, remove the hot pepper. Then add the rice and stir.
- Return to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes, or until all the liquids have been absorbed. Serve hot as a side dish.
- * Can use 16-oz. can cooked beans instead. Drain and combine with water and other ingredients except rice. Boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice, boil, reduce heat and cook about 20 minutes or until liquids are absorbed.
OMG! This recipe was amazing! It even blew the in-laws away!! The only thing I changed was I added 3 scotch bonnet peppers instead of one, and left it until the dish was completely done.Super spicy but very yum!
This recipe is a personal favorite of mine and goes great with anything!!! ya mon! The only thing is the salt needs to go in after the bean mostly cook or else the bean not cook all the way. One more things most people I know use the panamanian pepper the equivelent here is habenero pepper. Use one or two depending on serving size and you will notice the taste difference in your meal! Buen Provecho! chao
I made this recipe to go with coconut chicken and it was wonderful! I did add an extra clove of garlic but otherwise followed the recipe as written. I will definitely be making this again.