Recipe by byZula
I love this recipe! My first time making red beans and rice in 2003 and it was perfect! I've never used the pepper and I also used extra seasonings like garlic powder etc. I use the canned beans because dried beans take so long to cook!! My kids can't wait that long! :-) This is great with a stew or a curry, like chicken or goat. Whenever I bought a stew or a curry from the Jamaican restaurants back home, they automatically came with this rice. If you eat it on it's own, it may seem a bit plain.
Top Review by Alisha0102
OMG! This recipe was amazing! It even blew the in-laws away!! The only thing I changed was I added 3 scotch bonnet peppers instead of one, and left it until the dish was completely done.Super spicy but very yum!
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried red kidney beans
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 cups water
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups coconut milk
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, minced (optional)
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 fresh hot pepper
- 2 cups uncooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the kidney beans, garlic, water and salt to taste in a saucepan. Cook, covered over medium heat until tender, about 2 hours.
- Add the coconut milk, pepper to taste, scallion, onion, thyme and whole fresh pepper.
- Bring to a boil, remove the hot pepper. Then add the rice and stir.
- Return to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes, or until all the liquids have been absorbed. Serve hot as a side dish.
- * Can use 16-oz. can cooked beans instead. Drain and combine with water and other ingredients except rice. Boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice, boil, reduce heat and cook about 20 minutes or until liquids are absorbed.