1/2 Photos of Jamaican Style Peas and Rice (Red Beans and Rice)
2 hrs 15 mins
I love this recipe! My first time making red beans and rice in 2003 and it was perfect! I've never used the pepper and I also used extra seasonings like garlic powder etc. I use the canned beans because dried beans take so long to cook!! My kids can't wait that long! :-) This is great with a stew or a curry, like chicken or goat. Whenever I bought a stew or a curry from the Jamaican restaurants back home, they automatically came with this rice. If you eat it on it's own, it may seem a bit plain.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the kidney beans, garlic, water and salt to taste in a saucepan. Cook, covered over medium heat until tender, about 2 hours.
- 2Add the coconut milk, pepper to taste, scallion, onion, thyme and whole fresh pepper.
- 3Bring to a boil, remove the hot pepper. Then add the rice and stir.
- 4Return to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes, or until all the liquids have been absorbed. Serve hot as a side dish.
- 5* Can use 16-oz. can cooked beans instead. Drain and combine with water and other ingredients except rice. Boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice, boil, reduce heat and cook about 20 minutes or until liquids are absorbed.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Style Peas and Rice (Red Beans and Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 745.8
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 47.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 133.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 52.2 g
- Protein 16.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: