Recipe by Shelby Jo
From Light & Tasty Feb/Mar 2008. Originally submitted by James Hayes of Ridgecrest, California.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
Wow - this was great! I made this exactly as posted, except I did add some salt, which really brought out all the other flavors. There's a lot going on in this stew, but it all works together marvelously. I did need to cook this about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Thanks for sharing this very flavorful stew. Made for PRMR Tag Game.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 5 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- hot cooked rice (optional) or mashed potatoes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sugar; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly browned.
- Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Stir in the vegetables, broth, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, steak sauce, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew.
- Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with rice or potatoes if desired.