1/2 Photos of Jamaican-Style Beef Stew
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Shelby Jo's Note:
From Light & Tasty Feb/Mar 2008. Originally submitted by James Hayes of Ridgecrest, California.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 5 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- hot cooked rice (optional) or mashed potatoes (optional)
- 1In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Add sugar; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly browned.
- 3Add beef and brown on all sides.
- 4Stir in the vegetables, broth, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, steak sauce, and seasonings.
- 5Bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- 7Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew.
- 8Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 9Serve with rice or potatoes if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican-Style Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.6
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 81.6 mg
- Sodium 665.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 32.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium beef broth