Recipe by MrJamaica
This is the way to make GOOD Jamaican Stew Peas. If you like this, place a request for something else you'd like to see on here. [Please keep in mind that this recipe is made WITHOUT pork] If you choose to add pigtail, please soak it overnight.
- 1⁄2 lb stewing beef
- 1⁄2 lb pigs tail (If you'd like)
- 2 scallions
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can red kidney beans (or two cups of red peas, soaked in water overnight)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 allspice seeds or 5 pimentos
- 2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Gently fry the stew beef to seal it.
- 2.Cut the meat in to small pieces.
- 3.Place the peas, meat and 3 1/2 cups of water in a pot, bring to the boil then let simmer for one hour.[Please keep in mind if you're using pigtail this is the ideal time to add it also].
- 4.Chop the onion, scallion and garlic.
- 5.Make dough by mixing 2 cups of flour with water. Break off small pieces of dough and roll them in to "spinners".
- 6.After the peas and meat have simmered for 1 hour add the tin of coconut milk, onion, scallion, spinners, garlic, thyme, salt, black pepper, pimento and scotch bonnet (the scotch bonnet should NOT be cut up).
- Cook for 1 hour then remove the scotch bonnet pepper.
- 7. Serve this goodness with white rice and fried sweet plantains!