Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A recipe I found in delicious magazine. I am so going to try this. Posted for ZWT9.
Make and share this Jamaican Spiced Corn Soup Recipe recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 200 g yellow split peas, rinsed well
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cob fresh corn, cut into 2cm slices
- 200 g waxy potatoes, diced
- 200 g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1 . 5cm dice
- 200 g frozen sweetcorn
- 2 red peppers, diced
- Heat the oil in a casserole and soften the onion and garlic for 10 minutes. Increase the heat, add the cayenne and cook for 2 minutes. Add the split peas and the stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, chilli, thyme, sweetcorn slices, potato and squash. Season and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the frozen corn and red pepper for the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the chilli, thyme and sweetcorn slices. Cool the soup, then blend half in a blender until smooth. Return to the pan, along with the sweetcorn slices and thyme (discard the chilli), and mix with the unblended soup. At this stage, you can freeze the soup for up to 3 months.
- Follow next step if feezing~.
- Defrost completely, check the seasoning, heat through and serve.
- Note ~ Freeze soup in portions so that you can simply and quickly thaw a bag at a time overnight in the fridge for lunch the next day.
Super delicious soup that is pretty easy to prepare, although a little time-consuming. Your patience will be rewarded, however! I made this exactly as posted and enjoyed a truly flavorful soup that had quite a nice kick to it. The only thing I did differently was to use an immersion blender directly in the soup pot to pure half of the soup. The texture is just perfect and I will definitely make this again. Made by a Tasty Tester for ZWT9.