1/1 Photo of Jamaican Spiced Corn Soup Recipe
1 hr 25 mins
A recipe I found in delicious magazine. I am so going to try this. Posted for ZWT9.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 200 g yellow split peas, rinsed well
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cob fresh corn, cut into 2cm slices
- 200 g waxy potatoes, diced
- 200 g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1 . 5cm dice
- 200 g frozen sweetcorn
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1Heat the oil in a casserole and soften the onion and garlic for 10 minutes. Increase the heat, add the cayenne and cook for 2 minutes. Add the split peas and the stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2Add the coconut milk, chilli, thyme, sweetcorn slices, potato and squash. Season and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the frozen corn and red pepper for the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- 3Remove the chilli, thyme and sweetcorn slices. Cool the soup, then blend half in a blender until smooth. Return to the pan, along with the sweetcorn slices and thyme (discard the chilli), and mix with the unblended soup. At this stage, you can freeze the soup for up to 3 months.
- 4Follow next step if feezing~.
- 5Defrost completely, check the seasoning, heat through and serve.
- 6Note ~ Freeze soup in portions so that you can simply and quickly thaw a bag at a time overnight in the fridge for lunch the next day.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Spiced Corn Soup Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.1
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 120.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs