Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My husband is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. I made up this recipe for spice buns & he loves them. Excellent served with a slice of processed cheese. On the island they usually serve this during Easter with Tastee Cheese (canned cheese). Enjoy!
- 1 (12 ounce) bottledark stout beer (I use Guiness)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon browning sauce
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam (or orange marmalade)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup raisins (I use jumbo raisins)
- 1 (6 ounce) package orange-flavored craisins
- 1 (6 ounce) package craisins
- Warm beer on low flame- add browning, brown sugar, molassas,jam, honey & butter. Stir until dissolved. Let this mixture cool down to room temperature before proceeding.
- Sift together all dry ingredients. Mix in fruits. Add melted beer mixture. Stir together. Pour into two greased bread pans. Bake at 350 degree oven for about 1 hour.
Made this Jamaican bun as a surprise for my husband and he loved it, such a great texture and it cost less to make than the traditional buns that use eggs and wine.<br/>I will certainly make this again.<br/>Thanks for a great recipe.<br/>Conyers,GA
This was wonderful. Dark, dense, and sweet with a nice texture. My dh & I really enjoyed this spicy, flavorful bread. I used strawberry jam, buckwheat honey and cherry craisins. I served this tasty bread with butter and old cheddar cheese. It was delicous, I will make this again. Thanks so much for sharing.
I tried this recipe and my bun didn't last two days! It was sooooo good. Thanks.