Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Sorrel is a typical drink served at Christmas in Jamaica which is also know for its health benefits. This dried Hibiscus flower can be purchased at any caribbean or west indies store. This recipe is really made to taste, and everyone makes it different. Steep as long as you like, sweeten to taste (I like mine a little tart), some add orange peel, some add wine, rum....make it your own. Cooktime includes steep time.
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups sorrel, pedals
- 1 ounce gingerroot (one inch thick piece)
- 6 whole pimientos
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Bring water to a boil.
- Place sorrel, ginger and cloves into boiled water.
- Boil for 2 minutes, turn heat off.
- Cover and allow to steep for 12 to 24 hours.
- Strain and sweeten to taste.
- Add rum or wine if desired.
- Serve cold, on ice.