Mary Fillmore's Note:
Also called callaloo, this dish has many guises and often is made with meats. The dish dates back to the Arawak Indians, who prepared a stew that was kept going on the fire with the addition of new ingredients every day. This version is made simply with shrimp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra, sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1/4 cup instant onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon instant garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper, ground
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 lbs small shrimp, peeled, deveined (51-60)
- 1 cup cream of coconut, canned
- 10 lime slices
- 1Combine okra, spinach, green pepper, minced onion, salt, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, minced garlic, red pepper and chicken stock in large stockpot. Heat to boiling.
- 2Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- 3Add shrimp and coconut milk.
- 4Simmer until shrimp are cooked, about 5 minutes.
- 5Serve garnished with lime slices.
Browse Our Top Caribbean Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Shrimp Pepper Pot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.3
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 142.5 mg
- Sodium 591.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 23.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: