Jamaican Rice and Peas (Baked)
- Using a large pot over medium heat, combine pigeon peas, garlic, pimento, thyme, coconut and 3 quarts of cold water.
- Cover and cook the peas until tender, about 1-1/2 hours, adding more water as needed to keep peas covered.
- Boil until 4 cups of water remains,(you can drain and measure this).
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Using a Dutch oven or ovenproof pot over medium heat, heat the margarine, saute the onion and pepper, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, peas with liquid, season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.