3 hrs 5 mins
Nat Da Brat's Note:
Needs much less attention than the stove top method.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried pigeon peas (picked through and rinsed)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 5 pimento seeds, crushed (also known as allspice berries)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup coconut milk or 1 cup cream
- 2 slices scotch bonnet peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1Using a large pot over medium heat, combine pigeon peas, garlic, pimento, thyme, coconut and 3 quarts of cold water.
- 2Cover and cook the peas until tender, about 1-1/2 hours, adding more water as needed to keep peas covered.
- 3Boil until 4 cups of water remains,(you can drain and measure this).
- 4Heat oven to 350°F.
- 5Using a Dutch oven or ovenproof pot over medium heat, heat the margarine, saute the onion and pepper, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add rice, peas with liquid, season with salt and pepper.
- 7Cover and bake until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Rice and Peas (Baked)
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.8
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 373.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 18.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
scotch bonnet peppers