Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Needs much less attention than the stove top method.
Make and share this Jamaican Rice and Peas (Baked) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried pigeon peas (picked through and rinsed)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 5 pimento seeds, crushed (also known as allspice berries)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup coconut milk or 1 cup cream
- 2 slices scotch bonnet peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- Using a large pot over medium heat, combine pigeon peas, garlic, pimento, thyme, coconut and 3 quarts of cold water.
- Cover and cook the peas until tender, about 1-1/2 hours, adding more water as needed to keep peas covered.
- Boil until 4 cups of water remains,(you can drain and measure this).
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Using a Dutch oven or ovenproof pot over medium heat, heat the margarine, saute the onion and pepper, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, peas with liquid, season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.