Recipe by Ilysse
Found this recipe in a few places on line. The peas are actually red kidney beans. This suggests soaking overnight but if you look on the bag of beans you'll find a quicker meathod that I usually use. I thought this looked good (anything with coconut milk looks good to me) so I decided to post it even tho I have not tried it yet. The actuall recipe did not suggest the size of the coconut milk can and 'zaar needs a can size. I think the ones I get are 13 oz +/- so this is the amount I gave. Use what you have. The cook time includes prep time since I wasn't sure and this is the total time one of the websites gave.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (13 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the beans and garlic according to the package directions until the beans are tender.
- Save enough liquid from the cooked beans to add to the coconut milk to make 4 cups.
- Place the beans and the liquid in a large pot along with the scallions and thyme.
- Bring to a boil then add in the rice. Reduce heat to low, place the whole pepper in the pot and cover. Cook on low until the liquid has been soaked up by the rice and the rice is cooked.