Recipe by CHRISSYG
This is a yummy recipe that can be used as either a side dish or a great vegetarian main dish! And with the warm weather finally here I've been experimenting with Island recipes, Jamaican being some of my favorite "flavors". My fiancee' went wild over this with Grilled Jerk Chicken made from the authentic Jamaican Jerk Sauce recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. (p.s. I've done this the long way and the short-cut method and while the taste is slightly different both are VERY good) Work time includes soaking of beans.
Top Review by Chef RZ Fan
Yum-O...my fam loved this one. A nice change from the cajun style. I subbed a little yellow onion for the scallions and left out the bell pepper. I had all the other ingredients and was glad I tried this keeper. Thanks !
- 354.88 ml dried kidney beans (light or dark)
- 9.85 ml salt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 118.29 ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 2 sprig fresh thyme
- 7.39 ml ground allspice
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium yams, peeled and diced
- 946.36 ml cooked long-grain rice
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat about 8-10 cups of water to boiling (enough water to cover beans by about 1 inch). Add dry beans and boil 2 to 3 minutes. Remove pot from heat, cover and let stand about 4 hours or overnight. Drain the beans thoroughly and rise.
- Add enough fresh water to just cover beans, add garlic and salt, stir. Simmer about 30 minutes until they begin to get tender (not cooked through). Save 3 cups liquid, discard remaining liquid and garlic clove.
- In the pot sautee yams, allspice, scallions and peppers in oil until the scallions begin to soften. (2-3 minutes)
- Return the beans and add the reserved liquid to the pot with the coconut milk and simmer about another 10-20 minutes stirring occasionally until the beans are soft and yams are cooked thoroughly. Serve over cooked rice in individual bowls.
- Shortcut method: drain and risne two (2) 12oz. cans of light or dark kidney beans. Skip to sautéing the vegetables and spices (add garlic to the sautee’ pot) When they are soft add the drained/rinsed beans and about 1-1/2 cups of water and continue with recipe from there.