Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the Cooking.com website, republished from "Burt Wolf's Table" cook book.
Make and share this Jamaican Pumpkin Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups pumpkin flesh, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno peppers, to taste
- freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh coriander, for garnish
- In a saucepan, or stockpot (large enough to hold all the ingredients) over medium heat, bring the chicken stock to a simmer. Add all the ingredients except the buttermilk and coriander and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes and pumpkin are tender. The stock should completely cover all ingredients by at least 2 inches.
- Remove the bay leaf and pour the soup into a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and heat through. Stir in the buttermilk or evaporated milk. Divide the soup into serving bowls and garnish with the coriander.