Recipe by Flavor Diva
These are delicious curry-flavored pastries found in the Caribbean islands, particularly in Jamaica. Great as a snack or as a Jamaican meal compliment. I also enjoy them with a spinach, corn, and bean salad. I have used pre-packaged Crescent rolls (2 cylinders rolled out and cut into 10 circles or phyllo dough (15 sheets cut lengthwise to make 30 triangles) as a time saver. Not as good or as spicy as the handmade pastry, but sometimes there’s just not enough time. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days an reheat in microwave on medium heat.
Top Review by Dee N.
I made these with a slightly different filling (from another recipe), but was very happy with the dough from this recipe! The dough was soft, a beautiful colour, held together through the baking and was not dry. My two daughters, who love Jamaican patties, gave their sign of approval! I used slightly more butter than the recipe called for (125g), which was a success. I couldn't find the recipe my mum gave me, but this dough recipe was a great substitute and one that I will most definitely use from now on! Thank you for the great recipe!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic, cook 2 minutes.
- Add beef, curry, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until browned stirring constantly.
- Stir in stock and breadcrumbs.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed. (aprox.10 minutes) Texture should be soft and moist. Add green onions.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, turmeric, curry, and salt.
- Cut in 1/4 cup margarine and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Shape dough into a log, and cut into 10 equal sections.
- Roll each section into a six inch circle (approximately 1/8 inch thick). Cover with damp towel.
- Spoon equal amounts of filling into each pastry circle. Fold over making a half circle and press edges together. Use a fork to press edges, and brush the top of each patty with beaten egg.
- Cook for 25- 30 minutes.