1/4 Photos of Jamaican Patties; Beef, Chicken, or Lamb
Flavor Diva's Note:
These are delicious curry-flavored pastries found in the Caribbean islands, particularly in Jamaica. Great as a snack or as a Jamaican meal compliment. I also enjoy them with a spinach, corn, and bean salad. I have used pre-packaged Crescent rolls (2 cylinders rolled out and cut into 10 circles or phyllo dough (15 sheets cut lengthwise to make 30 triangles) as a time saver. Not as good or as spicy as the handmade pastry, but sometimes there’s just not enough time. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days an reheat in microwave on medium heat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder or 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- 3Add onions and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally until soft and translucent.
- 4Add garlic, cook 2 minutes.
- 5Add beef, curry, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- 6Cook until browned stirring constantly.
- 7Stir in stock and breadcrumbs.
- 8Simmer until liquid is absorbed. (aprox.10 minutes) Texture should be soft and moist. Add green onions.
- 10In a large bowl, combine flour, turmeric, curry, and salt.
- 11Cut in 1/4 cup margarine and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 12Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Shape dough into a log, and cut into 10 equal sections.
- 13Roll each section into a six inch circle (approximately 1/8 inch thick). Cover with damp towel.
- 14Spoon equal amounts of filling into each pastry circle. Fold over making a half circle and press edges together. Use a fork to press edges, and brush the top of each patty with beaten egg.
- 15Cook for 25- 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Patties; Beef, Chicken, or Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 716.5
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 74.6 mg
- Sodium 910.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 32.8 g