1 hr 15 mins
Using a pressure cooker for your oxtail drastically cuts cooking time from several hours to just about 1 1/2 hours! I love this stew with (183964 Flour Dumplings) added to it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs oxtails
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 large green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt or 2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 3 carrots (cleaned and chopped)
- 1 ounce jamaican browning sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can butter beans
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 stalks thyme
- 6 allspice (pimento berries)
- 1 ounce vinegar
- 1Trim the extra fat from the meat if there is any. Wash oxtails in cold water/vinegar solution. Put the oxtails in the pressure-cooker with the browning, paprika, and salt.
- 2Add 4 cups of water to the pot. Place the pot on the fire and turn the fire to high.
- 3Allow the meat to cook under this high pressure for a limited time. Here’s how, wait until the pressure builds up to its maximum point (threshold), and use your timer or clock to measure two minutes cooking time at maximum pressure.
- 4Turn off the fire and wait another minute. DO NOT REMOVE THE POT COVER.
- 5Slowly remove the pot from the heat source. You can also put the pot in the kitchen sink and run cold water on it; let it cool fast.
- 6When the pot is cool enough, carefully remove the cover and pour the contents into a saucepan. Turn the fire to medium and cook the oxtails until they are medium soft, or soft.
- 7Taste the gravy, now add salt to taste if needed.If the textures of the oxtails are the way you want them to be, add the rest of the ingredients, except the butter beans.
- 8The butter beans should be added two minutes before you finish making this stew.When the stew is ready, you may serve it with White Rice, Rice and Peas, Pasta, Bread, or Yams and Dumplings.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Oxtail (Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 80.5
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2516.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: