2 hrs 15 mins
This is a really popular island dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs oxtails
- 1/2 lb carrot, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups water (or 3 cups water and 1 cup beef stock)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1Clean oxtails, trim away any excess fat, and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- 2Combine all ingredients, except the dumplings, in a large, heavy saucepan.
- 3Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- 4Add water if necessary.
- 5Stir, add the dumplings, and return to low heat for 20 minutes.
- 6Serve hot.
- 7FLOUR DUMPLINGS:.
- 8Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and slowly add enough cold water to make a stiff dough.
- 9(A sticky dough makes a soft pasty dumpling.).
- 10Knead in the bowl or on a lightly floured board until smooth.
- 11Break off small pieces about the size of a walnut and roll between your hands. It should be similar to a long tube with pointy ends. They're usually about 3-4 inches long.
- 12Add to the stew for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- 13*As an alternative to the dumplings, 1 1/2 cups large dry lima beans can be added with the other ingredients at the start of the cooking.
- 14Or 1 (16 oz.) can of lima beans can be drained and added 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Oxtail Stew
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.6
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 169.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: