Recipe by byZula
This is a really popular island dish.
Top Review by Aunty Dotty
My fiance and I made this together today to use up a tail from our last kill ( months ago!! ). Really tasty oxtail recipe, make a good broth even when made on water. I didn't have dried thyme so used fresh and we added canellini beans instead of dumplings. Great, thanks Zusie-Q!
- 3 lbs oxtails
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups water (or 3 cups water and 1 cup beef stock)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- water, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean oxtails, trim away any excess fat, and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Combine all ingredients, except the dumplings, in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Add water if necessary.
- Stir, add the dumplings, and return to low heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- FLOUR DUMPLINGS:.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and slowly add enough cold water to make a stiff dough.
- (A sticky dough makes a soft pasty dumpling.).
- Knead in the bowl or on a lightly floured board until smooth.
- Break off small pieces about the size of a walnut and roll between your hands. It should be similar to a long tube with pointy ends. They're usually about 3-4 inches long.
- Add to the stew for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- *As an alternative to the dumplings, 1 1/2 cups large dry lima beans can be added with the other ingredients at the start of the cooking.
- Or 1 (16 oz.) can of lima beans can be drained and added 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.