Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a really popular island dish.
Make and share this Jamaican Oxtail Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs oxtails
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups water (or 3 cups water and 1 cup beef stock)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- water, as needed
- Clean oxtails, trim away any excess fat, and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Combine all ingredients, except the dumplings, in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Add water if necessary.
- Stir, add the dumplings, and return to low heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- FLOUR DUMPLINGS:.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and slowly add enough cold water to make a stiff dough.
- (A sticky dough makes a soft pasty dumpling.).
- Knead in the bowl or on a lightly floured board until smooth.
- Break off small pieces about the size of a walnut and roll between your hands. It should be similar to a long tube with pointy ends. They're usually about 3-4 inches long.
- Add to the stew for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- *As an alternative to the dumplings, 1 1/2 cups large dry lima beans can be added with the other ingredients at the start of the cooking.
- Or 1 (16 oz.) can of lima beans can be drained and added 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
My fiance and I made this together today to use up a tail from our last kill ( months ago!! ). Really tasty oxtail recipe, make a good broth even when made on water. I didn't have dried thyme so used fresh and we added canellini beans instead of dumplings. Great, thanks Zusie-Q!
Excellent easy to follow recipe will make this dish again ... Served with Jamaican rice and peas
found this recipe very easy to follow. My husband loved it. It was the first time i really enjoyed my oxtail stew thank you. I used beans not dumplings next time i will try the dumplings thanks Bettylou