These meat pies are so good, easy to make, and travel well. Be careful with the hot peppers; Scotch bonnets are super spicy. To make these kid friendly, we usually don't add the peppers until just before filling, setting aside some plain filling for the sensitive mouths. These are really good with pineapple coleslaw. I got this recipe from the September 2006 issue from Womans Day magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced and seeded scotch bonnet peppers or 1/2 teaspoon habanero pepper
- 4 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 8 frozen discos, thawed (I use Goya brand)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1Mix beef, onion, garlic, and pepper in a bowl until well blended. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef mixture and cook, breaking up chunks of meat, until beef is no longer pink.
- 2Add curry powder, thyme, allspice and salt; cook, stirring, 1 minute for flavors to blend. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, then broth; stir until simmering. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 5 to 7 minutes until liquid has almost evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- 3Heat oven to 400°F Coat baking sheet(s) with nonstick spray.
- 4Place a large spoonful of meat mixture on1 side of each disc of dough, leaving about a 1/4-inch border all around. Moisten edges with water. Fold in half. Press edges with fork to seal. Transfer patties to baking sheet(s). Brush lightly with beaten egg.
- 5Bake 15 minutes or until barely golden.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Meat Patties
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.8
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 126.5 mg
- Sodium 449.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 27.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: