1/4 Photos of Jamaican Lentil Stew With Coconut
1 pot, 1 hour = simple, incredibly tasty vegetarian meal. Truly a delightful change from ordinary lentil stew or soup. Make sure you have a hunk of great bread to sop up the stew juices or you'll end up using your fingers! Add a salad for a complete meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cumin (adjust according to taste)
- 1 (13 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 4 ounces split red lentils, washed and drained
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste (optional)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1Make a thick paste by mashing ginger and garlic together using a pestle and mortar or a small bowl and the heel of a wooden spoon.
- 2Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a large saucepan, add the onion and saute until transparent.
- 3Add the garlic ginger paste and saute another 2 minutes until fragrant; lower heat and stir constantly to avoid burning the paste.
- 4Add the spices and saute for a minute more.
- 5Stir in the coconut milk, stock, lentils, sweet potato and pumpkin puree.
- 6Simmer over medium - low heat for 40 - 50 minutes or until sweet potato is soft and almost melting into the stew. Be sure to stir occasionaly.
- 7Before serving, stir in the red curry paste if you are using it or adjust seasoning with black pepper.
- 8NOTE: The stew has a creamy texture and is thick with lentils, sweet potato and pumpkin that melt into a delictable base. If you prefer a lighter soup then add more stock to thin the base, or try adding more cocount milk for a very savory and unique taste.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Lentil Stew With Coconut
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 577.3
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 57.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 54.1 g
- Protein 10.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: