Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A nice little twist on Bananas Foster.... from "Key Lime Desserts" by Joyce LaFray
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup Tia Maria (or Kahlua)
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice, strained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 key limes, zest of
- 8 small bananas
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the sugar and water. Cook on a low boil until reduced to a heavy syrup, about 15-20 minutes. Add the coffee liqueur, key lime juice, vanilla and lime zest.
- Peel and slice the bananas in half lengthwise, then in half crosswise.
- Add the bananas to the hot syrup and cover until just warm.
- The syrup may be prepared ahead and reheated along with the bananas right before serving.
- Serve warm, NOT HOT, in stetmmed dessert dishes over vanilla ice cream.