1 hr 30 mins
Jerked meat is one of the Caribbean's most famous spicy dishes. There are few tendencies which give Jamaican food its characteristic flavor, but one of the main things is the preponderance of the allspice berry among the spices used as a paste-type marinade Serves; 8 people
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 pork loin chops
- 3 chicken breast halves
- 6 (2 ounce) chicken legs
- allspice berry
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 scallions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup peanut oil or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- Pickapeppa Sauce (see note)
- 1Cut away rind and most fat from pork; remove all meat from bones, cut into pieces about 1-1/2" thick and 3" to 4" long.
- 2Put pork pieces and chicken in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 3To prepare seasoning, heat the allspice berries over medium heat in small saucepan 3 to 4 min, stirring often; 2 tbs at a time, crush berries in mortar and pestle.
- 4In medium bowl, combine berries, nutmeg, cinnamon, scallions,.
- 5garlic, pepper and 1 tbs vinegar; crush into pasty mixture.
- 6Add rest of.
- 7vinegar, oil, salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- 8Turn mixture over pork and.
- 9chicken and rub meat with seasoning, coating evenly.
- 10Cover and refrig-.
- 11erate 2 hours or overnight.
- 12Cook jerked pork and chicken on grill over.
- 13hot coals or on gas barbecue as far from heat as possible (6" or more);.
- 14cover with lid; turn meat every 10 minutes for about 1 hour, until done.
- 15If desired, halfway through cooking time toss 1 tsp whole allspice.
- 16berries into fire.
- 17Cut cooked pork into 1/3" slices and serve with.
- 19Accompany with Pickapeppa sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Jerked Chicken and Pork
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.1
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 104.5 mg
- Sodium 240.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 27.2 g