Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a Weight Watchers recipe. Its a delicous alternative to hamburgers. The salsa adds a slightly sweet touch to tame the heat of the jerk seasoning. The salsa can be prepared up to one day in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.
- 1⁄2 cup papaya, diced
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 3⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats, unciiked
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- To prepare salsa, in a medium bowl, combine papaya, mango, 1/4 cup of red onion and 14/ cup green pepper, cilantro and lime juice. Set aside.
- To prepare burgers, in a large bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup red onion, remaining 1/4 cup of green pepper, oats, ketchup, jerk seasoning and egg and mix well. Add turkey; mix thouroughly. Shape turkey into four 1 inch thich patties; cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Broil burgers until cooked through, flipping once, about 20-25 minutes total. Serve each bruger topped with about a heaping 1/3 cup of salsa.
Great flavorful turkey burgers! I left out the onions and subbed apple for the papaya. I added some cayenne to the salsa for a little kick and thought it was great with the flavor of the burgers. Grilled these over charcoal and really enjoyed - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring PAC 2010
These were great burgers. I served on toasted Texas Toast. Made for PAC.