Prep 5 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Love, love, love Jerk! If you have tried any of my jerk recipes you know from experience this one is Hot! Use 2 cups soaked Hickory Chips.
- 2 racks pork baby back ribs, 5 pounds total
- 2 cups dark rum
- 4 tablespoons habanero chili powder
- 4 tablespoons dried chives
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Remove silver from the backs of ribs. I use pliers to get a grip on one corner and pull hard to remove.
- Place ribs in a pyrex or other nonreactive roasting pan.
- Pour rum over ribs, turning a few times to coat evenly.
- Cover and place in fridge, turning once every hour for 4 hours total.
- Meanwhile combine all the spices in a blender or small food processor and pulse until you have a fine powder.
- Divide jerk spice blend.
- Drain ribs and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Take one batch of jerk spice blend and rub into rib racks-both sides.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and return to fridge for 1 hour.
- WASH YOUR HANDS WELL.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling-use a drip pan if you don't want a huge greasy mess to clean up.
- Heat to medium, medium hot.
- Add chips and place ribs on hot grates over drip pan.
- Close lid and allow to smoke for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Allow for 15 minutes either way, depending on the size of each rack.
- When done remove racks to a platter.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the remaining jerk spice blend on ribs, offering the remaining half at the table for true heat seakers.
- You can thank Steven Raichlen for this amazing recipe!