Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Bon Appetit
- 3 lbs red potatoes, peeled
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, halved
- 6 chopped cornichons or 6 gherkins
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- chopped fresh parsley
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and cool. Cut potatoes into 3/4-inch pieces. Transfer to large bowl.
- Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp, stirring occasionally. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels and drain. Mix mayonnaise, mustard, chopped thyme, allspice, turmeric and cayenne pepper in medium bowl.
- Separate egg yolks and whites. Mash yolks in small bowl. Mince egg whites. Add bacon, mayonnaise mixture, yolks, whites, cornichons, celery, onion and hot pepper sauce to potatoes in bowl and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
Yeah...all the reviews were right. It is a fantastic potato salad. I thought it might be too spicy for my 95 year old mother, but she also loved it. I did just use 1 teaspoon of the tobacco sauce.
Everybody has to try this one! DH told me to throw my other recipe away, he only wants this one from now on. Loved the flavor and went great with Jamaican Jerk Pork Loin.