Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This is my take on a great concoction made originally from The Works Gourmet Burger Bistro in Ottawa, ON. It’s a firey blend of peppers, spices and pepper-jack cheese infusing mellow portabella mushroom caps for a great vegetarian burger!
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 large sweet onion, minced
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 portabella mushroom caps, stems removed
- 4 slices monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4 slices ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh green chili pepper
- 4 whole-grain rolls, sliced and toasted
- Add canola oil through through lime juice to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Arrange mushroom caps in a small, deep dish.
- Pour the marinade overtop, cover and refrigerate 4 – 6 hours, turning caps over halfway through.
- Heat a grill to medium-high.
- Remove caps from the marinade and pat dry.
- Place mushroom caps (gill side down) on the grill, cover and cook 4 minutes.
- Flip, top each with a slice of cheese and cook, covered, 4 minutes more.
- Place 1 slice tomato on the bottom half of each roll. Top with mushroom caps, then add 1 tbsp chilis to the top of each. Top with remaining bun half.
- Serve with sweet potato fries and enjoy!