1/4 Photos of Jamaican Jerk Marinade
This recipe comes from the cookbook, "Eat Caribbean" by Jamaican, Virginia Burke. Jerk is a style of cooking developed by the "maroons" (run away slaves ) of Jamaica. There are very many versions of Jamaican Jerk Marinades. It can be used on on pork, chicken or fish. A blender or food processor can be used to make quick work of all the chopping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 scallions, greens only, thinly sliced
- 2 large shallots, finely minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon scotch bonnet pepper, seeded ribbed and finely minced
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice (use whole allspice berries, lightly toasted in a skillet, then ground fine)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1In a bowl, combine scallion greens, shallots, garlic, ginger, and Scotch Bonnet pepper.
- 2In another bowl, combine allspice, black pepper, cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme, dark-brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- 3Mix thoroughly.
- 4Whisk in orange juice, vinegar, lime juice, and soy sauce.
- 5Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking constantly.
- 6Add the reserved scallion mixture; stir to combine.
- 7Let rest at least one hour.
- 8Wash chicken, pork, or fish well, pat dry and place in a bowl.
- 9Add sauce; rub in well.
- 10Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 11Before cooking, scrape paste off of the meat.
- 12Grill over charcoal.
- 13You may add water-soaked allspice berries to the coals for smoke and additional flavor.
- 14Serve with Jamaican "rice and peas".
Browse Our Top Marinades and Rubs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Jerk Marinade
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.5
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 406.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 1.3 g