1/1 Photo of Jamaican Jerk Chicken and Seasoning
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Smoky Okie's Note:
I was fortunate to receive an old family recipe from a business associate who is from Jamaica for jerk seasoning. We like it so much that I make 2# batches at a time. For those of you not familiar with Jerk, it is a spicy, sweet, tangy and HOT seasoning for grilled meat, pork and chicken particularly. This spice blend recipe will make enough for several batches, but remember, the idea is to put as much on the meat as you can get to stick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground rosemary
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground scotch bonnet peppers (habanero)
- 12 bay leaves (finely crumbled)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 lbs chicken (pieces, wings, halves, whatever)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1Combine all but chicken, lime juice and oil in mixing bowl and whisk to mix well.
- 2Whisk together lime juice and olive oil.
- 3Rub chicken well with lime/oil mix. Do not marinate.
- 4Coat chicken with dry seasoning/spice mixture. The idea here is to get as much as possible to stick to the chicken. We store our seasoning in a leftover spice container with large sprinkle holes and use that to season. This is not a rub, so it should not be applied in rub fashion.
- 5Refrigerate 1-3 hours, then remove from refrigerator and allow to come to near room temperature.
- 6Prepare grill for direct/indirect grilling.
- 7Grill chicken over hot direct fire. Don't worry about the black, it's supposed to be there. In fact, 30-40% of the skin should end up black, but it will not be bitter.
- 8Once seared, remove to the indirect heat area of the grill and cook to 165* internal temperature.
- 9One quick dance across the direct heat before serving will help crisp it a bit.
- 10Serve with plenty of napkins.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Jerk Chicken and Seasoning
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 662.0
- Calories from Fat 409
- Total Fat 45.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 155.2 mg
- Sodium 2766.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 39.4 g