Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Kosher salt, which is preferred due to it's lack of impurities if using table salt use 1/2 the amount.
- 473.18 ml hot water
- 236.59 ml kosher salt
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 29.58 ml jamaican jerk spice
- 1814.36 g roasting chickens
- Dissolve salt and sugar in hot water add remaining ingredients and 2 cups of ice cubes to cool it. Place a 4 pound cleaned and dried chicken in a freezer zip lock bag pour brine over chicken and top with water to cover. Close bag trying to remove as much air as possible. Brine in refrigerator overnight 8-12 hours. If not ready to cook remove from brine rinse well and place back in the refrigerator till ready to cook.
- Proceed with cooking method you desire.
- Roast, Grill, Rotisserie cooking to internal temperature of 175.
- Let rest 10-15 minutes before carving.
I used the brine for a roasting chicken. I only used half the salt the recipe called for, just because I was using a smaller chicken, 1kg. I used my Dry Jerk Rub were the recipe called for jerk seasoning. I marinated it for 12 hours, butterflied the chicken and cooked it at 350 for 1 hour. it turned out yummy. What was left was used for chicken salad sandwiches and those were especially yummy ;)