Recipe by Sharon123
Jamaicans make this with fresh hibiscus, so common in the islands, but you can find it dried at your health food store, some supermarkets, or Whole Foods store. This is Jamaicas answer to iced tea and better for you too! Sometimes allspice berries are added, I have left them out here.
- 2 cups whole dried hibiscus flowers (a.k.a. sorrel)
- 2 inches ginger, sliced in thin coins for mild flavor (or chopped or grated for stronger flavor- recommended)
- 1 orange, zest of
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cups water
- sugar (about 1 cup)
- water, as desired
- ice, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the orange and slice or grate (recommended) the ginger.
- Add all ingredients to a pot, cover and bring to a gentle simmer. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Then simmer for another 30 minutes to extract all the spiced goodness.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight for strongest flavor.
- Strain and mix with ice and water.