Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
This come from "The Rustic Table" by Constance Snow.
- 2 lbs fish, firm fleshed white such as red snapped, drum or 2 lbs grouper
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork or 1⁄2 lb thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 cups boiling water
- 3 large waxy potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 2 limes, scrubbed and quartered
- 2 -6 green chilies, fresh, seeded and chopped (like jalapeno or serrano)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cut fish fillets into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the salt pork (or bacon), and cook until crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Add onion and cook until tender but not brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the boiling water, potatoes, limes, and chiles; cook for about 10 minutes. The add the fish and simmer for 10 minutes. Discard the limes. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.