Recipe by mommyoffour
I got this recipe from an old Pillsbury cookbook. I have not tried this yet but it sounds very interesting. Its not like your typical ham and bean soup. Let me know what you think.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 32 ounces vegetarian refried beans
- 11 ounces mexicorn whole kernel corn, red and green peppers
- 11 ounces white shoepeg corn
- 4 1⁄2 ounces chopped green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 lb ham, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 1⁄4 ounces sliced ripe olives
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add refried beans, mexicorn, shoepeg corn, chilies, salsa, broth and jerk seasoning; mix well.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ham, olives and lime juice; mix well.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and if desired, top with 1 T. sour cream and lime slice to each.