1 hr 30 mins
A wonderful, simple soup, which can easily be made vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth. I like to garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprinkle of chopped chives or parsley. Beer is an excellent accompaniment to this soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb yellow split peas
- 3 quarts chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 2 large celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large turnip, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large scallion, white portion only,thinly sliced
- 2 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Bring the broth and split peas to a boil in a large pot over med-high heat.
- 2Cover, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the peas are soft, about 45 minutes.
- 3Add all remaining ingredients.
- 4Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- 5Pick out and discard the thyme.
- 6Puree the soup in batches in a food mill, food processor or blender (I use my imersion blender and puree it right in the pot).
- 7Taste and adjust the seasonings with additional allspice, salt and pepper if needed.
- 8This soup can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for several weeks.
- 9Stir well after reheating.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Golden Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (4002 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 735.4
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4666.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 42.5 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 58.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs