Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From "Lucinda's Authentic Jamaican Kitchen" published 2006 I just made this to rave reviews. I did not add extra water and used frozen shrimp. Serve with Kuchella a green mango pickle or a mango chutney.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 whole scallion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons diced sweet red peppers
- 1 slice scotch bonnet pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1 lb medium shrimp
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it is very hot add the curry powder. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the next 6 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and cook 3 minutes more. Add the water and blend well.
- Add the okra and shrimp. Reduce the heat and cover and cook until shrimp is just cooked through. Serve immediately with rice and a mango chutney.