In most tropical countries fruit is served at room temperature for this recipe it has to be well chilled before serving it over the hot spicy curried beef. The ribs that you choose must be very lean, well marbled. If they are large I recommend simmering them in water (bone in) for aprx 45 minutes to tenderize them, then remove the bones and continue with the recipe.. Save broth for another recipe. I have used small lean short ribs and removed the bone without simmering. They were very tender.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 lbs short rib of beef, bones removed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (apprx 1 1/2 lbs meat after bone removal)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 tablespoons yellow curry paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced, seeded and membranes removed
- 3 cups sweet potatoes or 3 cups yams, 1/4-inch bite size slices, steamed until just tender
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (19 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice (uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 3⁄4 cup fresh papaya, cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 3⁄4 cup fresh mango, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 tablespoons fine shredded dried coconut (optional)
- Rub the lime juice into the beef cubes.
- Place the limed beef and curry paste in a large bowl or zip lock bag, mix well to coat the beef with the curry and let it rest 1 hour or longer.
- Mix the mango & Papaya together, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet medium heat, brown the curried beef . stir as you are browning the beef, Be careful not to burn.
- Add onions, cook until the onions are translucent and starting to brown, add garlic and Jalapenos.
- Continue to cook 5 minutes, stir at least once.
- Pour in the tomatoes, cover with a lid and simmer 45 minutes.
- Just a few minutes before serving add the cooked sweet potatoes, mix well, heat through.
- Meanwhile cook your rice using your favorite method stir in the sugar or sugar substitute while cooking, mix well ( If you are boiling the rice in water add sugar to the water while cooking).
- Serve the curried beef over the rice topped with the Papaya/Mango mixture.
- Sprinkle Coconut on top if you wish
Very good! The meat came out as tender as it could possibly be. The sauce was not too bold, which was nice. I served the curry over rice that was cooked in coconut milk- yum.
You've done it again Bergy. Top marks. yummy