Recipe by kelly in TO
Cornmeal adds texture and flavor to this bread, as well as being as high in antioxidants as spinach. Using coconut milk makes this bread tender and luscious without adding oil. Vegans can substitute a couple tablespoons of coconut milk for the egg.
- 1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees, oil a 9 by 9 square baking pan and set aside. Spread the coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes, then stir, bake for another 3-5 minutes if needed until coconut turns a golden brown. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Raise the temperature of the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the coconut, cornmeal, pastry flour, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar. Break u pany clumps of brown sugar with your fingers. In a small bowl, whisk the coconut milk and egg. Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture and transfer to the prepared baking pan, smoothing the top of the batter.Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cener of the loaf comes out clean. Cool on a rack.