Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
These little gems are served all over Negril.
Make and share this Jamaican Coco Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 packages yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3⁄4 cup warm milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in water then stir in milk, salt and egg.
- Add 1/2 of the flour and stir, continue to add flour until you have a dough that can be turned out of the bowl.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth but firm.
- Oil a clean bowl and turn the dough in it until coated.
- Cover with a damp towel and let it rise for 1 hours Cut into 10 portions and roll each piece into a 6 inch diameter circle.
- Brush with melted butter then fold in 1/2.
- Brush with more butter and fold in 1/2 again.
- Set breads on a oiled baking sheet and let them rise until they double in size.
- Preheat oven to 425 F set a pan of hot water on the lowest oven rack.
- Bake for about 12- 15 minutes or until golden brown (on upper rack, set to middle).
Very authentic, I grew up on cocobread and patty! I substituted coconut milk for milk and water, the missing "coco" in the cocobread. Makes it even tastier!
excellent bread. very easy to make. recommend using bread flour for a larger, lighter textured roll.
They tend to dry out easily, so, Keep them in an air tight container for sure, or eat them all when they are still warm and buttery.