1/1 Photo of Jamaican Chilli Coconut Fish and Prawn (Shrimp) Stew
When you're in the mood for something loving with a tropical feel, this does the trick every time! Try to use Jamaican chilli sauce that's made with scotch bonnet or habaneiro peppers. The result is a mild creamy stew with the subtle heat of the chilli just about coming through. You could use a different type of chilli sauce but it wont have the same flavour or special heat that the scotch bonnet provides A delightful alternative soothing way to serve plain white fish. Just wonderful!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped very very finely
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped very very finely (must be green)
- 4 large white fish fillets, cut into chunks
- 200 g small shrimp, chopped (shrimp)
- 75 g coconut cream, grated
- 1/2-1 tablespoon scotch bonnet chili sauce
- 1 large egg yolk, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 4 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lime, quartered, to serve (I think this is essential)
- 1fry the onions and green pepper in the butter until softened.
- 2add the coconut cream and once melted add the fish, prawns, chilli sauce and 1/2 cup of water.
- 3cook for 5 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through.
- 4add the cornflour and egg yolk mixture and stir constantly until thickened (you may need to add more water if the mixture is too thick, you want the consistency of a medium thick bechemel sauce).
- 5add the coriander salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and cook for 1 minute more.
- 6Serve over white rice with wedges of lime to squeeze over.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Chilli Coconut Fish and Prawn (Shrimp) Stew
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.5
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 205.3 mg
- Sodium 368.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 28.7 g