1/1 Photo of Jamaican Chilli Coconut Fish and Prawn (Shrimp) Stew
When you're in the mood for something loving with a tropical feel, this does the trick every time! Try to use Jamaican chilli sauce that's made with scotch bonnet or habaneiro peppers. The result is a mild creamy stew with the subtle heat of the chilli just about coming through. You could use a different type of chilli sauce but it wont have the same flavour or special heat that the scotch bonnet provides A delightful alternative soothing way to serve plain white fish. Just wonderful!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped very very finely
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped very very finely (must be green)
- 4 large white fish fillets, cut into chunks
- 200 g small shrimp, chopped (shrimp)
- 75 g coconut cream, grated
- 1/2-1 tablespoon scotch bonnet chili sauce
- 1 large egg yolk, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 4 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lime, quartered, to serve (I think this is essential)
- 1fry the onions and green pepper in the butter until softened.
- 2add the coconut cream and once melted add the fish, prawns, chilli sauce and 1/2 cup of water.
- 3cook for 5 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through.
- 4add the cornflour and egg yolk mixture and stir constantly until thickened (you may need to add more water if the mixture is too thick, you want the consistency of a medium thick bechemel sauce).
- 5add the coriander salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and cook for 1 minute more.
- 6Serve over white rice with wedges of lime to squeeze over.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Chilli Coconut Fish and Prawn (Shrimp) Stew
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.5
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 205.3 mg
- Sodium 368.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 28.7 g